Monday, January 19, 2009

Day 12 - Developing Your Friendship with God

"Be Near, Oh God" by Shane and Shane

This journey has brought us to recognize we are created for God's purposes- we are to glorify Him- worship Him- and build a friendship with Him.

Please listen to the words of this song and pray that God will draw near to you.





This song was inspired by Psalm 73:28, Psalm 139

Chorus:
Be near, oh God
Be near, oh God of us
You're nearness is to us our good

Be near, oh God
Be near, oh God of us
You're nearness is to us our good
Our good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 12

Point to Ponder: I'm as close to God as I choose to be.

Verse to Remember: "Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you." James 4:8a (NLT)

Question to Consider: What practical choices will I make today in order to grow closer to God?

-

2 comments:

  1. I have realized how I see our heavenly father comes from my experiences with my earthly father. I think, "I don't want to take up God's time with small unimportant things." "God doesn't want to listen to me complain about my cruddy day." "God's too busy for me." These are feelings I struggle with because that's what I've experienced with my dad.

    In reality, God wants me to be honest. He wants me to share everything with Him. He's patient, wise, and is never too busy to listen. God is the father or "dad" that I long for.

    I really love the song, "Be near, Oh God" it fits well with the verse for this chapter. "Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you."

    God isn't asking for perfection, He is asking for passion. A passion within me to desire Him more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the analogy used in this chapter that we can look at God as a King and us as loyal subjects in a royal court. As anyone who knows me well could tell you, I love to watch all of the dramas set back centuries ago with Kings and Queens and Dukes and Duchesses..... it drives Jeff crazy. But there was something about those times and having a King and people loyal to him and trusting in him that is just so appealing to me that I can't get enough of those books and movies! So for me it's a great way to think of God and myself.... a loyal subject honoring the King.

    A practical choice I can make today to grow closer to God is to follow the advice of the chapter and desire God's friendship above all else.

    There have been very dark times in my life when I have felt hopless and very, very alone, even though I had friends. I did not always turn to God or understand my relationship with him. I am so thankful for his friendship. I will always know that I am never alone.

    ReplyDelete